Saturday, February 10, 2018

Teaching Indigo Dyeing



Five years ago I took my first Indigo dye class.  It was the beginning of what has been years of exploring the magic of Indigo and the art of Shibori. And there is always more to learn.

But . . . today I taught Indigo Dyeing Level 1 at Wilson Adult-Community Education Center in Santa Clara, California. And it was a nice experience to pass along what I enjoy so much. The students were focused and ready to learn and I always learn something new myself.

It’s so fun to see the ways in which people choose to experiment, once you provide the tools and knowledge.

I am thankful to have studied Shibori and Indigo dyeing with artists like Melissa Arnold, Maggie Leininger, and Ana Lisa Hedstrom. I really appreciate what these woman have done and continue to do by teaching. Teaching any fabric dye class is a crazy adventure, challenging and rewarding.

Here are some images from today. The classroom setting, which reminds me of an home economics room has three kitchens. Nice to have a projector to show slides introducing indigo, my work, and provide inspirational photographs. It is a nice set up.

And on a final note it was fun to look back at one of the first classes I took at the Tin Thimble taught by Melissa Arnold. Melissa wrote a blog post which you can find here: http://www.melissaarnoldtextiles.com/indigo/

Thank you Tin Thimble, for hosting Melissa Arnold: http://www.thetinthimble.com

And thanks for the supplies at Dharma Trading: https://www.dharmatrading.com






































1 comment:

susanb said...

This looks like such a fun day! I would love to do this.