Sunday, February 3, 2013

Recipe for How to Dress a Baby


There is a tradition in the Duncan family where all new borns are given handmade kimonos to wear in the first weeks of their life. These kimonos were embellished with crocheted edging and colorful embroider. First created by Doris Duncan (my mom's mother) and her sister Florence in the 1930s for Dean and Beryl Duncan. My mother wore them in 1934, I wore them in 1957, along with my two sisters that came after me. Cullen wore them in 1985. Holly wore them in 1987 and they were passed along to my sister's children. I wanted to continue this tradition, by making some new ones for Kaya. In place of crochet I used my serger with decorative thread. Here they are. Kaya, Michelle and Karl's baby is due any day now. We are so excited to meet her.




No comments: