Saturday, May 24, 2014

Cochineal Beauty in the Detail

One of my favorite moments in Irit Dulmans workshop in January was dying with Cochineal. We had what we called a magic dye pot, because everyone pulled out something that they loved, which does not always happen. Leaf prints were legible and shades of pink from the cochineal were stunning. Its been on my mind to try and recreate the magic. I ordered Cochineal powder from Botanical Colors back in January and decided to test it out this week. Pink is not one of my colors, but I have to say there is something about the Cochineal pink that is pleasing. Its a flattering color to wear on most people. Four scarfs and a silk dress made it to the magic pot and I plan to list them on my Etsy site.

Here are a few of my favorite images from the process.

Fresh out of the dye pot and hanging in my new studio. :)



Detail of the first bundle, the silk is still wet so the color is bright.


Rose and Loquat prints.


After washing and drying the colors are toned down, beautiful, like pink sherbet.

3 comments:

Melina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melina said...

Oh my! These are beautiful, Kim.
You are rocking the Cochineal!!!!

meuli said...

Thank you Melina. Just looking back at posts from 4 years. :)