Saturday, May 18, 2013

Eco Dyeing on Fabric



I have done 2 groups of dyeing, since the class with India Flint.
First Day:
Flowering plum, eucalyptus, and a old copper bowl in the dye bath. Above is a photo of a wool sample tied around a copper pipe. The areas that touched the copper pipe and where on the outside of the bundle turned a dark green. The pointy eucalyptus leaves (not the scientific name :) I found while hiking and I picked the most crusty leaves I could find, they had spots all over and the edges are chewed up. After dyeing, I strained the plants and kept the dye in a glass mason jar, to use again. The leafs from the dye bath I put in the pages of an old phone book to keep them flat and I plan to use them again and see what happens.
Second Day:
Flowering plum (lots of it) in the dye bath. This time I tried dipping the flowering plum leaves in "iron water" before laying them on the fabric. - I can post photos of the results tomorrow. 
Iron water:
Put water in a rusty metal bucket, added rusty bits that I found at a metal salvage yard in Redwood City. Then I added a cup of vinegar. Letting this sit for days.
Happy Dyeing . . .

No comments: