Friday, May 24, 2013

Linen soaked in milk

I opened this bundle of linen/cotton blend that I had in my stash from an estate sale. I had soaked the fabric in milk and let it air dry for a few days. I wrapped it around a copper pipe, leaves used were eucalyptus, flowering plum, and California Buckeye. Before rolling, I sprinkled the folded piece with iron water. The dye bath used was a combination of water from the last three dye baths with lots of flowering plum in the water. Simmered for one hour, let sit overnight (18 hours), before opening. Anyway, I was so amazed at the variety of color . . . I attached a photo. I hung the piece in the shade to dry. Unfortunately the color has really changes once it dried. I attached a photo of the dried piece also. Next time I will try wool and hope to retain some of the vibrancy.


Pleased that I was able to capture this moment.
Color faded once dried, which is to be expected,
but after a gentle saltwater rinse the color changed.

Linen wrapped around a copper pipe.



No comments: